Manchester, Maine, settled in 1775, became a town in 1850. It was made up of parts of five towns: Augusta, Readfield, Hallowell, Litchfield, and Winthrop. It was first called Kennebec, but finding that their mail often went to Kennebunk, Maine, the townspeople decided in 1854 to change the name to Manchester.
The central part of town was first known as Hallowell Cross Roads, Manchester Cross Roads, Manchester Forks, and finally simply The Forks, a fitting name, since seven roads meet here: Winthrop, Pond, Kerns Hill, Hallowell, Augusta, Puddledock and Readfield Roads.
The current population is: 2580
Lakeshore: Cobbosseeconte Lake